Thursday, April 12, 2012

Stay at home or Work.. My thought on Ann Romney

Just an FYI this post is not intended to be a political one. This being posted is not to share my political views or to ask anyone else to do so. It is coming from a mother who cares!

I was listening to the news this morning and was very irritated by what I was hearing. Hilary Rosen, a democratic strategist, was saying that Ann Romney was unqualified to speak about the economic issues that women face today.  Rosen was on Anderson Cooper 360 and was slamming Ann Romney stating that "She never worked a day in her life." She also said "She's never really dealt with the kinds of economic issues that a majority of women in this country are facing in terms of how do we feed our kids? How do we send them to school? And why we worry about their future."

Romney responded back with a Tweet  “I made a choice to stay home and raise five boys. Believe me, it was hard work.”

So my post today is about being a stay at home mom and being a working mom. I have been fortunate enough to have been able to stay at home. That does not mean that there has not been times where my family could have benefited from me going to work. But, it was very important to me for me to stay at home with my children and raise them the way I wanted to and my husbands jobs for the most part allowed me to do so. That being said, it is not always that way for other families. Be it a single mother or a married mother some, no most, families today have to have a second income to make ends meet. That does not mean that their feeling towards raising their kids are any different from mine. They love their kids just the same as I love mine.

We all come from different economic backgrounds but being a mom, stay at home or working, is hard work. I certainly feel that it is the hardest job I have ever faced. My 40 hour work week went up to a 24 hours 7 day a week job and my responsibilities sky rocketed. I worry just as much about money for my family as I am sure my working mommy friends do. I worry about the stability of my husband job in these crazy times, I also worry about how to put food on the table in a cost effective way, and I worry about how I am going to pay for gas to get my kids to and from their daily activities.

I think it is sad that because Ann Romney comes from wealth that she would be ridiculed by someone, be it a Democrat or Republican. She is a mother and made a choice to stay at home and be the best mother she could to her 5 sons. Money or no money she is a mother. I don't think that wealth makes her out of touch with what a mother needs and wants. Yes, she may have had it easier financially, but she is on the campaign trail with Mitt socializing with women to find out what our concerns are as women and mothers from all economic backgrounds.  I know my concerns may be different from my neighbors, the mother that lives in the inner city, and the mother that lives in the richest neighborhood in my town.

Yes, Ann Romney comes from money and she has not toughed it out as most American mother do but, at least she is making it a point to connect with us.  It seems that the only way to run for president is to come from money and she should not be slammed for that. I would like to see Hilary Rosen hitting the trails to have one on one sit downs with the mothers of America.

If you have not seen what Hilary Rosen has said, check out the link to Anderson Cooper 360.

http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/2012/04/11/the-candidates-war-for-women/

2 comments:

  1. Share your thoughts! I would love to hear what everyone else is thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy to hear that Michele Obama has spoken up regarding Ann Romney and the comments made about her. This is what I mean Democrat or Republican, it doesn't matter being a mom is being a mom is being a mom. We all have worries and we all have to make tough decisions no matter what they may be!

    ReplyDelete